Where to go for support for those most affected by the budget

It’s only been seven months, but it’s hard to keep track of all of the people negatively impacted by recent United Conservative Party decisions. With less money going to just about every department the provincial government is responsible for, Albertans need help. 

As a quick disclaimer, I do not work for any of these organizations, nor am I (or the Rat Creek Press) receiving any monetary benefit from these recommendations.

Cuts to education affect parents as well as post-secondary students trying to pay their own way. The removal of cost caps to energy, insurance, tuition, as well as increased property taxes are a financial burden. That’s added to the worries for those who have already been laid off or those worried about impending job loss from budget cuts and the continued reliance on a single resource. Folks on an even tighter budget, like AISH recipients, will find their dollars stretched much further.

Where to go for help ultimately depends on what you need. Obviously in the case of immediate emergency, call 911. Otherwise, there are lots of places to go for help, each with their own specific use. If you’ve lost your job, ALIS (alis.alberta.ca) is a one stop shop for free resources for everything related to looking for work. You’ll find resources for resume writing, job search, and education here.

If money is getting tight, licensed insolvency trustees such as Money Mentors can help look at your finances and make decisions that can help you avoid having to declare bankruptcy. As well, there are low-income options for Edmonton Transit and access to community recreation centres.

The ALIGN Association of Community Services (alignab.ca/family-resource) is another library of resources for those who may need help to make their dollars stretch a little further. The association has curated a list of resources for parents and their kids. They range from art programs to technology resources to clothing. School supplies, food, and housing can all be found here, as well as access to dental, medical, and even pet care.

And maybe you’re not financially affected by these changes, but you’re also not feeling like your best self. Two fantastic resources are available to help you out here: Alberta Health Services (albertahealthservices.ca/amh/Page16759.aspx) and myhealth.alberta.ca. If you or someone you know is suffering from anxiety, grief, depression, or more, you can access many free resources at either of these sites or by calling 811.While all of these resources can help you cope, they will not change the budget cuts or the policies put into place by the United Conservative Party. To fight for change, contact MLA Janis Irwin. Her constituency office can be reached at 780.414.0682 or [email protected].

Featured Image: Resources are available for those most affected by this year’s provincial budget cuts. | Pixabay